Man cleaning gutter inhales poisonous fumes, dies | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 11, 2016-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Man cleaning gutter inhales poisonous fumes, dies

mumbai Updated: Jan 13, 2010 00:28 IST
Highlight Story

A man died after inhaling poisonous gases while cleaning a manhole in Andheri West on Tuesday afternoon.

Municipal officials said the two men were appointed by the contractor and are not its employees.

Civic authorities said at around 2 pm, workers Naresh Makwana (30) and Balu (35) climbed down a 10-ft deep manhole opposite Blue Star building near Apna Bazar to clean it.

Makwana, in his statement to the Amboli police, said Balu first entered the gutter and within minutes started feeling uncomfortable because of the poisonous fumes.

“He was feeling dizzy and fell unconscious. I too entered the gutter to save him,” Makwana told the police.

But Makwana too fainted within minutes.

A passerby noticed the open manhole and called for help when he saw the two men unconscious in the gutter, the police said. They were rushed to RN Cooper Hospital, but Balu was declared dead before admission.

Makwana has been admitted to the Intensive Care Unit of the Juhu hospital.

“He is currently out of danger,” said a hospital official requesting anonymity for lack of authorisation to speak with the media.

“Investigation is on,” said Assistant Commissioner of Police Dilip Suryavanshi.

The police said the contractor had paid the two workers Rs 400 each to clean the gutter.