Man falls on 25,000-volt wires, disrupts train services | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 08, 2016-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Man falls on 25,000-volt wires, disrupts train services

mumbai Updated: Mar 20, 2012 01:09 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Coming in contact with overhead wires charged with 25,000 volts at railway stations is enough to kill a man. But a 29-year-old was lucky to have escaped with a few minor burns on Monday morning.

According to the Bandra railway police, Mir Zakir Shabrul Haq lost his balance on a foot overbridge in Santacruz and fell on the overhead wires.

He was saved by the quick thinking of railway officials who switched off the power supply.

The incident took place around 10.15am on the harbour line at Santacruz station. Train services were disrupted for over 20 minutes.

Haq, a resident of Nagpada in south Mumbai, had come to Santacruz to meet his sister's husband, who stays near the railway station.

On his way back, Haq was standing on the foot overbridge at the south end of the railway station. "He said he lost his balance and fell on the overhead wires," said V Dhopavkar, senior inspector, Bandra railway police.

Haq told the police that after falling he tried to balance himself on the wires till the time help came along. "He was holding on to the wires. While his feet were on the wires below, his shoulders were resting on the two wires above," said Dhopavkar.

A few policemen patrolling the station saw Haq and immediately told the station authorities to switch off the power supply.

A police team and railway officials then rushed to the bridge. With Haq hanging a few metres below, the policemen caught him by the arm and pulled him up.

He was rushed to Bhabha Hospital as he had sustained minor burns after coming in contact with the high-tension wires.

"If the power had not been switched off, he would have been charred. He has sustained minor injuries, but his condition is stable. We informed his brother-in-law, who took him home after the treatment. We have not registered any case but only made an incident report," said Dhopavkar.