Man strangles wife at Madh, hangs self from tree | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Man strangles wife at Madh, hangs self from tree

mumbai Updated: Apr 21, 2010 01:07 IST
HT Correspondent

A couple, married just over 18 months, was found dead near a hillock at Madh Island on Tuesday morning.

Police said Gaya Yadav (28) first killed his wife Usha (20), then hanged himself from a tree, because he suspected his wife was having an affair.

The couple, residents of Anand Nagar in Jogeshwari, were found dead in a mango plantation at a deserted spot near Madh jetty.

Musa Shaikh, assistant commissioner of police (Malwani area) said locals spotted the bodies at 9.30am on Tuesday, and alerted the police control.

Usha was found on the ground with strangulation marks on her neck, clobbered to death with a stone. Yadav was found hanging from a nylon rope on a cashew tree.

Police found a driver’s licence in Yadav’s pocket, as well as also two bottles, one filled with water, the other half filled with alcohol.

Vijay Kaundar, Usha’s brother-in-law, said: “They fought regularly over money and other issues but Yadav never looked as if he had tired of Usha”.

He said on Monday, the couple left their house saying they were visiting Usha’s sick sister in the area since she had visited the doctor whom Yadav worked for.

“The two left home at 8.30am, leaving their son behind. When they didn’t return until 1.30 am — and Yadav’s phone was switched off — we got anxious and went to the Oshiwara police,” said Kaunder.

Police have registered a case of murder and suicide against Yadav, but are investigating other angles as well.

Sanjay Banerjee, deputy commissioner of police, said the crime was planned.

“Yadav had been beating Usha regularly as he suspected her of having an affair.

On Monday, he told her he was taking her to visit his employer’s wife and boarded a ferry from Versova jetty. They reached Madh jetty, where Yadav consumed alcohol and killed his wife. Fearing arrest, he then killed himself,” said Banerjee.