Man with fake currency was probed in 2008 too | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Man with fake currency was probed in 2008 too

mumbai Updated: Sep 15, 2011 01:08 IST
HT Correspondent

Israr Ahmed Abdul Hamid Tailor, alias Sangri, who was arrested on Monday with counterfeit currency and is suspected to have links with a home-grown terrorist outfit had been earlier arrested in 2008 on charges of publishing and distributing inflammatory literature soon after the July11, 2006 serial train blasts as well, and subsequently released.

Both times, he was arrested by branches headed by the additional director general of police Rakesh Maria.

The ATS on Monday arrested Israr, a former computer teacher, outside the Borivli railway station, with counterfeit currency worth Rs75, 500.

The ATS, in its remand application filed on Tuesday, alleged that Israr — suspected to have links with the Indian Mujahideen — was actively involved in distributing counterfeit currency, which another terror suspect, Haroon Rashid Abdul Hamid Naik, alias Umar Akbar channelled into the city from Saudi Arabia.

ATS had arrested Haroon on August 23 from the international airport on his arrival from Jeddah, where he used to work. He was also involved in terror financing, alleged ATS sources.

However, ATS officials said that Haroon had not said anything to suggest either his or Israr’s role in the 13/7 triple blasts in Mumbai.

Earlier, Israr was wanted under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act for publishing and distributing literature with inflammatory content soon after the serial train blasts in the city on July 11, 2006.

On July 28 that year, a case was registered against Israr and his accomplice, Irshad Salim Khan, a civil engineer. But the duo could not be traced for nearly two years. In April 2008, the crime branch arrested them from Naya Nagar, Mira Road, where they were supposedly in hiding.

Rakesh Maria, then the joint commissioner of police (crime), had said that the duo were associates of Students Islamic Movement India (SIMI) chief Safdar Nagori.

They were then handed over to the ATS. The ATS, then headed by the late Hemant Karkare, said that the duo was not absconding and had been questioned much before the crime branch arrested them.