'Manisha was reluctant to go for film in the rain' | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

'Manisha was reluctant to go for film in the rain'

mumbai Updated: Jul 19, 2011 00:49 IST
Bhavika Jain

If a few friends had not insisted on going for a movie, Girgaum resident Manisha Bhansali, 27, and her six-month-old baby, Aarvi, may still be alive.

The mother and daughter were crushed by a banyan tree outside CR2 mall in Nariman Point on Sunday night. The child died on the spot, while the mother succumbed to her injuries a few hours later.

According to family members, Manisha and Aarvi had been feeling under the weather for the past few days. Although they were feeling a better on Sunday, Manisha and her husband Naresh, 29, weren't sceptical whether they should venture out in the rain.

"But a few friends suggested that an outing would make them feel better. They left the house at 6.30pm to see a movie," said Sheetal Doshi, a relative.

The family went to Inox theatre with two other couples, but as they did not get tickets, Naresh went to fetch his bike.

The mother and daughter were standing under the banyan tree when it started to crack. Manisha tried to move away, but got stuck between two parked cars when the tree suddenly came crashing down on her.

"Naresh was helpless when he saw his wife and daughter being crushed under the tree," said Doshi.

"He saw the tree falling, but couldn't do anything to save them."

The youngest of seven sisters and two brothers, Naresh married Manisha on November 10, 2009. Aarvi was born in February this year.

The family, along with Naresh's mother, lived in a small rented house at Gulalwadi. Naresh runs a metal business in Girgaum.

According to neighbours, they were a perfect couple and doting parents.

"It was a small family, and they loved each other. It seems like a fairytale has ended," said a neighbour who has known the family for the past two years.

"Manisha was a very simple and nice person. After marriage she took over all the household chores to help her mother-in-law," said a relative requesting anonymity.

The last rites of the victims were performed at Chandanwadi on Monday morning.