Marol jeweller unplugs CCTV cameras, no footage of robbery | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 10, 2016-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Marol jeweller unplugs CCTV cameras, no footage of robbery

mumbai Updated: Oct 26, 2010 00:48 IST
Mohamed Thaver
Mohamed Thaver
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Despite installing six closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras, Surendra Jain, 50, was devastated to find no footage of the robbers who broke into his jewellery shop and fled with ornaments worth Rs 11.40 lakh.

On Sunday morning, Jain found his shop, New National Jewellery on Military road at Marol, broken into.

But when he found no footage of the robbery on the cameras he realised that he had accidentally unplugged the system two weeks ago, rendering the six CCTVs useless.

“On October 13, we were cleaning our shop for Diwali preparations. When my son and me lifted the main connection box of the CCTV cameras to clean the area, we accidentally pulled out one of the three plugs. The next day, I went to my hometown and since then no one checked any footage,” said Jain. “I returned on October 20 but was too busy to check.”

It was only after the robbery did Jain find out that the cameras had bee switched off since October 13.

“When we checked the connections on Sunday, one of the plugs was not in the socket.”

Until six months ago, either his son or an employee would sleep in the shop at nights.

“I realised that it would be a risk because robbers could attack my son or employee. That was when I decided to install six CCTV cameras,” Jain said.

The Powai police have registered a house break-in case.

“The robbers gained entry by breaking the locks of a shutter and a wooden door at the back of the shop. Silver and gold jewellery worth Rs 11.40 lakh were missing from the shop,” said Ashok Jadhav, senior police inspector.

New National Jewellers is located 100 metres away from Kallika Jewellers, which was robbed of ornaments worth Rs 3.5 lakh on October 9.

The robbers had dug a 7ft tunnel through a sewage line to enter Kallika Jewellers. The police are yet to make arrests in this case too.