Ending speculation over the syllabus for the upcoming state medical entrance exam, education minister Vinod Tawde said that the test will be based on the state board’s Class 12 science stream syllabus.
Last year, the test was conducted as per the syllabus prescribed by the now scrapped National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET). A government resolution for the same has also been released.
The Maharashtra common entrance test (MH CET) is scheduled to be held on May 7 and is conducted by the Directorate of Medical Education and Research (DMER). Close to 1.5 lakh students appear for the test for admission to undergraduate medical, dental and other courses. Registrations for the exam in already underway on the DMER website.
With last year’s MHCET test based on NEET, which was heavily based on the CBSE syllabus saw only 5.06% of the total candidates pass the test.
“We had proposed switching back to state board syllabus in January itself and were waiting for the government’s approval,” said Pravin Shingare, director, DMER.
Tawde also announced that from this year onward, Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) and Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) will also be allowed to appear for the test. Until now, the state only allowed Indian citizens to take the exam.
While this decision will benefit students, some are upset over the delay in notification. “I spent a whole year studying for the entrance test based on the NEET syllabus. The government should have notified us earlier. Also, the syllabus is yet to be released on the DMER website,” said a medical college aspirant.