Mentally ill man tells police how parents died | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Mentally ill man tells police how parents died

mumbai Updated: Aug 01, 2010 01:54 IST
HT Correspondent

A day after the police found a mentally ill man sitting next to the bodies of his elderly parents, he has been admitted to the psychiatric department at JJ Hospital.

On Friday, residents of Nand Bhuvan building at Goregoan complained to the police about a foul smell emanating from the flat.

The police rang the doorbell and when no one responded, they broke open the door to find Sujit Nair (42), who is suffering from schizophrenia, sitting next to the bodies of his parents Rajan (80) and Chandralekha (75). They had died around four days ago.

A police official said that Sujit, who is currently under the observation, told the police that his mother had slipped in the living room and died.

Hearing the thud, his father who was bathing came rushing outside and he too died of shock. The police official added that Sujit was probably so traumatised after the incident that he did not consider his parents dead.

"He was serving them tea and biscuits for the four days when they lay dead. He also used to apply ointment on his mother's wounds on her legs," said Senior Police Inspector Surendra Paithankar of Goregaon police station.

The Goregaon police found anti-depressants at the Nairs residence.

The police suspect the couple took the medication because of their ailments and the condition of their only son Sujit.

Chandralekha was suffering from diabetes and had stopped going out of the house since a few years.

Even Rajan was suffering from several ailments, the police said. The police official added that they will try and take Sujit's statement under the observation of experts. However, they will not completely rely on his version given his mental condition.

Anil Singh, son of the landlord of the building in which the Nairs stayed, said, "The Nairs were very soft spoken. I often met Rajan uncle who sometimes used to be in a lively mood and sometimes said that he was fed up of his life."

The bodies have been handed over to the relatives on Saturday, said the police.

The cause of death of the couple has been kept pending and their viscera have been sent to the Forensic Science Laboratory in Kalina for chemical analysis and histopathological tests.