Two years after the servers crashed, students were allotted wrong colleges and merit lists were delayed, the declaration of the first general merit list on Friday, went off smoothly, for the most part. The results were declared two hours earlier than usual, with students and colleges having no problems accessing the merit lists online.
"Everything went well this time," said an education department official. "No one had any complaints about the admission process."
Last year, on one occasion a merit list was first issued, and then within half an hour the department issued a different merit list.
"The merit lists have been better organised this year and the system has evolved," said Swapna Durve, vice-principal of Mithibai College in Vile Parle. However, students complained that they hadn't received text messages, as promised.
Cut-offs rose slightly in the science and commerce general merit lists when the lists were declared on Friday. This is the second year that students have benefited from the best-five scheme. The combination of best-five and 25 marks for sports has seen student scores rising sharply this year.
"The marks have been excellent this year so cut-offs also went up," said Shobhana Vasudevan, principal, RA Podar College, Matunga. "There are several students at every mark on the list."
At RA Podar, for instance, 26 students on the merit list had 513 (out of 550) marks, 22 students had 512 and the list ended at 511, with 13 people on that score.
The next general merit list will be declared on August 1. "By the time we get to the end of the admission process, the cut-offs would have dropped," said Marie Fernandes, principal of St Andrew's College in Bandra.
Several colleges still have seats that have not been allotted. These are likely to become available in the next round. Of the 2.6 lakh seats available in junior colleges in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region, 1.54 lakh are available through the online process.