A seven-year-old boy died after being crushed in the elevator of his building at Mira-Bhayandar Road on Sunday.
The police, who have registered a case of accidental death, said the incident took place around 8.30pm when Ajju Khan, a resident of a flat located on the third floor of Sagar Shristi building, was going down to play.
The building is only a year old, said the police.
Asif's father Manish is an estate agent while his mother is a housewife. The family also includes Asif's paternal grandmother, who was at home when the incident took place. Ajju's mother was out of the city and his father was at work, said the police.
Ranjit Aandhale, police sub inspector of Navghar police station said, "It is not clear whether the boy was going up to his residence or coming down.
The lift was stuck between the first floor and the ground floor of the building. The Public Works Department (PWD) has inspected the lift and only after they submit their report will we able to identify whether the elevator was in perfect working condition."
The police said Ajju was about to step into the lift when his leg got stuck in the elevator doors and he got dragged downwards.
It was only later when the building residents noticed and informed Manish about the incident.
The fire brigade was also informed.
The police said the boy was stuck for over an hour following which he was rushed to Thunga Hospital, where he was declared dead on arrival.
"We will be taking a detailed statement of Ajju's family and the building residents to figure out if there was some problem with the elevator," added Aandhale.