Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray on Saturday reiterated that he would fight the 2014 elections alone and also announced a campaign against the alleged deletion of Maharashtrians from the electoral rolls.
On Friday, there were reports that the MNS would tie up with the Shiv Sena-Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP)-Republican Party of India (RPI) alliance. This was refuted instantly on Saturday by both the MNS and the Sena, while the BJP said it would welcome such an alliance.
Addressing MNS cadres on the occasion of seventh anniversary of the creation of his party, Thackeray denied any possibility of a political alliance to win seats, a rumour that has been doing the rounds recently. “I will come to power in the coming elections in 2014 and that too on my own strength,” said Thackeray.
Refuting allegations that the MNS has a weak organisational network, Thackeray said he was building his organisation gradually. “My party is gradually shaping up and you will see the results in 2014 elections,” he said.
Thackeray also promised that through his ascent to power, he would prove political analysts wrong in the same way he had done so in 2007, when they had predicted the downfall of the MNS after its dismal showing in the civic elections.
In addition, Thackeray also accused the Congress-NCP alliance of conspiring to weaken the MNS by excluding Maharashtrians from the voters’ list.
“More than 85% of the excluded people are Maharashtrians. This is a deliberate attempt to ensure that our party members do not get elected,” he said, reading out the constituencies along with the number of voters who had been struck off the electoral rolls.