In a bid to trace those who have jumped bail, furlough or parole, the Maharashtra government has turned to mobile service operators and election commission for help.
Additional public prosecutor Ajey Gadkari informed the Bombay high court on Thursday that the government has sent a list of absconding accused to operators to check if they have any records on those names.
The government has also approached the election commission to verify if it has any records of those on the list.
A division bench of justice AM Khanwilkar and justice AR Joshi asked the government to file by March 21 an affidavit giving the updated statistics since the constitution of special cells.
Following the court’s suggestion, special cells were set up at all police stations in the state last year to trace absconding accused and missing people.
Earlier, the personnel of these special cells would report to the officer in-charge of the police station. “Now, the cells will directly report to the deputy commissioners of police in the city and superintendents of police at district-level,” said Gadkari.
During the last hearing, the court had suggested that there should be integrated data system so that even local police stations could update the list of absconding accused and missing persons. The government said it was also working streamlining such a system.
The court had taken up suo moto cognisance of Ramzan Sabit Hussain, a murder convict who jumped bail in 2003 after his bail was cancelled. Later, the court had clubbed the issue of missing persons after several habeas corpus [produce person in court] petitions were filed.