BMC records say at least 56 Mumbaiites were admitted to public and private hospitals owing to gastroenteritis between Monday and Tuesday morning.
More than 840 people have landed in hospitals because of the stomach infection characterised by severe diarrhoea so far this month.
Dr Kushrav Bajan, consultant physician at Hinduja Hospital, said e-coli is the most common bacteria and causes gastroenteritis.
“I have been seeing at least eight to ten patients with gastroenteritis every week this month. This is much higher than usual because people tend to drink and eat more street food during summer,” he said. Doctors say it is best to avoid uncooked street food like bhel puri and sandwiches.
“One should stick to tava items because cooking at temperatures over 70 degrees kills bacteria,” said Dr Bajan.