‘More theatres following rules on Marathi films’ | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 28, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

‘More theatres following rules on Marathi films’

mumbai Updated: Aug 21, 2010 02:02 IST
Debasish Panigrahi

The number of single-screen theatres following the state’s rules screening Marathi films has gone up since 2008.

A review conducted by the Mumbai police earlier this year showed that the number of single-screen theatres, which were not following the guidelines on screening Marathi films, had come down to 10 this year from 69 in 2008.

The number of multiplexes violating the norms, however, went up from two to three during the same period.

The police waited for reports from the Revenue and Forest Department, which is the licensing authority for any place of entertainment, and issued show cause notices to the multiplexes on August 16.

Jadhav said the police received the report on the single screen theatres on August 19.

“They will be issued notices on Saturday,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Headquarters II) Vijaysingh Jadhav said.

During a review in January 2008, the police found at least 69 single-screen theatres out of 86, and two multiplexes out of 27 were not screening Marathi films, which was a violation of government guidelines.

Jadhav, who was holding the same office in 2008, said a Government Resolution (GR) passed in 1968 had made it mandatory for single-screen theatres to show Marathi films for at least four weeks in a year.

“It is one of the important (police) licence conditions for theatres,” Jadhav said.

Another government directive issued in 2001 said multiplexes, which came up mostly after 2000, would have to reserve one of their screens for at least a month for Marathi films.

There is also a high court order saying this.

When single-screen theatres and multiplexes were found violating these conditions in 2008, the licences of 63 theatres and multiplexes were suspended until they complied with the rules.

The show cause notice to eight others was cancelled after they immediately complied with the norms.

When the city police took another review earlier this year, it found that the number of single-screen theatres violating the rules had reduced significantly over the past two years.