Motormen back pilots
As their nature of work is similar, the motormen in Mumbai will be meeting the pilots of the Air India (AI) who are on a strike to discuss ways to unite and protest on a larger scale.mumbai Updated: May 04, 2011 01:11 IST
As their nature of work is similar, the motormen in Mumbai will be meeting the pilots of the Air India (AI) who are on a strike to discuss ways to unite and protest on a larger scale.
On Tuesday, the motormen in Mumbai held a silent protest for two hours wearing black bands and placards.
Devendra Yadav, chief conveyor, Joint Action Forum (JAF) that has motormen from both Central and Western Railways as its members, said: “We will soon meet the airline pilots. We feel that our cause is the same. Both cadres do similar work but are facing injustice.”
According to sources, the motormen would discuss as to how they can take their demands forward with the government.
“The demands that we made last year during our hunger strike too haven’t been fulfilled as yet,” said a motorman on condition of anonymity as he is not authorised to speak to the media.
Their demands include payment as per grade to motormen, loco pilots and assistant loco pilots, sick leave for motormen, night duty allowance to all loco -running staff including
motormen without any ceiling of basic pay.
At Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) station, the motormen erected a notice board stating that the administration shouldn’t try their patience or else they would continue their protests.
At Churchgate station, the motormen stood in a queue holding placards with their demands written on it.
The motormen began their protest at around 5pm, the time when there is peak hour rush. They stood in groups at CST and Churchgate stations and shouted slogans to make the commuters aware of their grievances.
The railway administration, however, claims that the protests by the motormen are uncalled for.
“Their demands have been forwarded to the anomalies committee. We have done everything that was possible to fulfill their demands,” said a senior railway official on condition of anonymity as he is not authorised to speak to the media.