Mumbai: 24 people in custody for entering Pali Hill house, threatening residents | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 25, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Mumbai: 24 people in custody for entering Pali Hill house, threatening residents

mumbai Updated: Jun 15, 2015 22:53 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Pali Hill


Twenty-four people have been remanded in judicial custody for allegedly barging into a Pali Hill bungalow on Wednesday and threatening its residents. A constable has also been posted at the house for the family’s protection.

In her complaint, the owner Minaz Ansari has stated that close to a hundred people surrounded her bungalow around 6pm asked them to move out, threatening to harm them if they did not. Ansari’s 80-year-old mother-in-law Dulcene was alone at home with her six-year-old son when the incident took place, she has claimed.

Minaz has also alleged that while a police van was passing through the area when the crowd was harassing them and ransacking their house, they did not stop to help. The family only received police help after her husband called up commissioner Rakesh Maria.

Officers of the Khar police denied the allegation and said they had immediately rushed to the spot and intervened in the matter.

“There is a property dispute between the builder and the tenant. As soon as we came to know about the incident, all patrolling vehicles rushed on the spot. We arrested two people immediately while the other 22 people were arrested on Sunday,” said inspector Dattatray Bhargude of the Khar police station.

Two cases have been registered in the incident. Two people have been arrested for trespassing, rioting and threatening people.

“In the second case, we have arrested 22 people for dacoity, rioting and trespassing. Twenty-four people were produced in the court on Monday and remanded in judicial custody,” said Bhargude

Ansari has claimed in her complaint that when she returned home after dropping her son at Karate class, she saw around hundred people swarming all over the bungalow. She claims the people were misbehaving with her mother-in-law and pushing her out of the house. She also claimed that the people snatched her phone and asked her to vacate the bungalow.

“I pleaded with them to return my phone and then called up my husband. He rang up Rakesh Maria and informed him of our plight. Initially the police did not help us, but after we spoke to the commissioner, they have been really helpful. We have been promised by the police that the person who sent the goons to our place will be tracked soon,” said Ansari.