Atleat six people were injured on Saturday morning when a gas cylinder exploded in an apartment in Nalasopara (East), the police said. No fatalities have been reported in the incident, police said.
The incident took place around 9. 15am on Saturday at the residence of Pramod Pandey in Ambavadi Laxmi Nagar, who lives with his wife and child, according to the Nalasopara police. Pandey (38) was alone at the time of the blast while his wife, who is pregnant, had gone to her native place.
The gas cylinder blast took place in Nallasopara. (Pratham Gokhale/HT photo)
Pandey forgot to turn off the gas knob after cooking his meal on Friday night. On waking up on Saturday, he switched on the light in the kitchen that triggered the gas cylinder blast, said the police.
The police said that Pandey sustained 80% burn injuries and is being treated at a hospital. Others- Mayuri Chavan (17), Komal Gupta (14), Chinta Gupta (35), Namdeo Sangle (32) and Kanchan Dubey- also suffered burn injuries and are being treated.
The local fire brigade was alerted and they successfully put out the fire. The trapped residents were subsequently rescued.
"We are investigating the incident. While it appears that it was an accident, we are awaiting the fire brigade's report after which we will decide on further course of action," said BB Kalantre, inspector at Nalasopara police station.