Mumbai: Another dolphin carcass washed ashore at Nariman Point | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 19, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Mumbai: Another dolphin carcass washed ashore at Nariman Point

mumbai Updated: Apr 29, 2015 15:55 IST
Badri Chatterjee
Badri Chatterjee
Hindustan Times
dolphin carcass

Days after the carcass of an Indo-Pacific humpbacked dolphin was found at Marine drive, another unidentified six-foot long dead dolphin was found wedged in the middle of the rocks opposite Oberoi Hotel at Nariman Point on Monday evening.

Officials of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation’s disaster management cell said they got to know about the dolphin’s carcass around 8pm on Monday. The civic officials and the Marine Drive police pulled out the carcass around 11pm on Monday using an excavator following which it was handed over to the wildlife department on Tuesday morning.

Police sub-inspector Ramesh Khade of the Marine Drive police station said, “After hours of searching, we found the dolphin’s body under the rocks at Nariman Point on Monday night.”

Civic officials try to pull out the dolphin’s carcass using an excavator at Nariman Point. Photo: Resqink Association for Wildlife Welfare

Environmentalists are of the opinion that the BMC officials or the local police were not able to locate the carcass for nearly five hours as they did not have the equipment. “The BMC officials and police had no vehicles, equipment or staff to help recover the carcass. Owing to the unavailability of a crane, the body could only be removed on early Tuesday morning with the help of a dumper from another ward,” said Pawan Sharma, president, Resqink Association for Wildlife Welfare, a not-for-profit.

“The body has been handed over to the wildlife department on Tuesday for a post-mortem. More details on the dolphin will come to light after the report arrives,” said Khade.

Officials of the wildlife department said the dolphin’s carcass was taken to a hospital of the Bombay Society for the Prevention and Cruelty of Animals (BSPCA) in Parel on Tuesday for a post-mortem. “From what we have seen, it seems that the dolphin died because of old age. We will know more after the reports of the post-mortem are received on Wednesday,” said Kishore Thakre, deputy conservator of forest, wildlife department, Thane.