Mumbai: BMC to ask Shah Rukh Khan to demolish ramp in seven days
After a letter from BJP MP Poonam Mahajan, the BMC will send a demolition notice to actor Shah Rukh Khan on Friday, asking him to remove the “illegal” ramp adjacent to his bungalow in Bandra within seven days.mumbai Updated: Feb 05, 2015 22:02 IST
After a letter from Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP Poonam Mahajan, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) will send a demolition notice to actor Shah Rukh Khan on Friday, asking him to remove the “illegal” ramp adjacent to his bungalow in Bandra within seven days.
“A notice will be issued to the actor. If he fails to comply with the order, the civic body will demolish the ramp,” said senior civic official, on condition of anonymity.
Taking note of the repeated complaints from Bandra residents, Mahajan— MP from the north-central region that covers Bandra, Khar, Vile Parle and Santacruz — wrote to municipal commissioner Sitaram Kunte on January 29. Kunte then directed the local ward office to take necessary action.
Last year, too, the civic body had promised to demolish the ramp. According to residents, the ramp blocks the access to the road, as the actor often parks his vanity van there. It hassles people, especially during the Bandra fair held every September.
In August last year, citizen group Watchdog Foundation and some others had protested outside the actor’s bungalow. An activist had filed a nuisance lawsuit with the local court against the actor over the illegal construction.
Residents said they have been complaining about the ramp to the ward office, but no action has been taken. “This is a step in the right direction. We are glad the BMC finally plans to serve a notice to demolish the illegal ramp,” said Nicholas Almeida, trustee, Watchdog Foundation, who had filed the nuisance lawsuit.
Even after repeated attempts to contact Sitaram Kunte and Poonam Mahajan, both were unavailable for comments.