Following the Mumbra building collapse, which killed 74 residents and injured several others, municipal commissioner Sitaram Kunte has commissioned a detailed survey of all illegal structures in the city.
A detailed report will be prepared across the 24 municipal wards in the city based on site inspections and verification of requisite documents including the occupation certificate.
“A thorough survey of all illegal structures in the city has been called for. The reports will be compiled and presented before the civic standing committee next week,” said Kunte.
From April 15, the administration has also decided to intervene at the ward level by appointing 65 officials to keep a close check on illegal settlements. Civic standing committee members had raised an objection, stating the number of officials would be inadequate for the work.
Last week, the standing committee had demanded a probe into illegal structures in the city, allegedly erected with the aid of a nexus between developers, local ward officials and the police. The committee had demanded a detailed report of the action taken against similar structures.
Leader of the house, Yashodhar Phanse, had said: “The grave incident in Mumbra could recur in any area. There is a need for immediate action and to check on the existence of a nexus.”