Mumbai

Mumbai gang-rape victim released from hospital at last

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • |
  • Updated: Aug 29, 2013 12:14 IST

No covered face, no media, and a question not on justice, but fast food – with that, the 22-year-old photojournalist finally walked out of Mumbai’s Jaslok Hospital around midnight on Tuesday.

The woman had been gang raped by five men last Thursday.

Clad in jeans and T-shirt, she left the hospital like any other patient. There had been suggestions that she cover her face to avoid identification, but it was turned down. Before leaving, she had even asked whether she could now have her favourite fast food. But the doctors had to refuse, since she is still on medication.

“She is a pillar of strength and her mother is her main support,” said a doctor from the hospital.

“It’s not advisable for her to resume work immediately, but she is ready to be out,” said a senior doctor who was involved in her treatment.

“It is her willpower that healed her,” said Dr Tarang Gianchandani, medical director of the hospital.

 

also read

Mumbai gang-rape: fast-track court to try case

blog comments powered by Disqus