Mumbai gangrape rape accused confesses to crime in police van | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Mumbai gangrape rape accused confesses to crime in police van

mumbai Updated: Apr 28, 2013 01:35 IST
HT Correspondent

After pretending not to know anything about the gang-rape of the 13-year-old girl in Vakola on Thursday, accused Mellwyn D’Souza finally broke down and confessed to the crime as the police were driving him to the police station.

The police spent Thursday night trying to locate the accused, because all that the teen victim remembered was that she was taken to the first floor of a house located at Dutt Mandir Road, and that she had climbed a part-wooden, partiron staircase.

A door-to-door search operation was launched around 1am, which saw teams of policemen knocking on doors, describing to residents the house with the part-iron, part-wooden staircase. Two hours later, the search took the police to the door of Mellwyn D’Souza’s house.

However, Mellwyn, in his early twenties, did not seem flustered when he saw the policemen at his door, and acted as if he was clueless about the incident.

When the police quizzed him about the birthday party, he told the officers that he had indeed hosted a birthday party and that his friends had joined him to celebrate, the police said.

“We were losing hope, when we spotted empty beer bottles under a bed in the house,” said the police officers.

“We asked him about the beer bottles, and he said that they belonged to his uncle and would be sold as scrap soon,” said the officer, who was a part of the search operation. The police then told him to accompany them to the police station for further inquiry.

“As we were driving towards the police station, he suddenly broke down and admitted that the 13-year-old was raped,” said an officer requesting anonymity.

The police then acquired the addresses of the other accused in the case and took Bipin Singh, Sachin Yadav and Venkatyesh Naidu along with the 16-year-old girl accomplice into custody by 5am on Thursday.

The police said the birth certificates of the male accused ascertained that they were aged between 20 and 25 years.