Delayed by more than a month, the admission process for junior colleges for 2015-16 is likely to start after May 25, according to the office of the deputy director of education, Mumbai region.
Last year, the online form-filling process had started on April 24. Hit by the confusion over the Maratha and Muslim quota, the training for school principals for the online process is currently underway. The office of the deputy director plans to distribute the user manuals for the process in schools by May 25.
“We will soon hand over the manuals to school principals, after which the students can fill the first part of the application form,” said BD Phadtare, deputy director of education, Mumbai region.
The second part of the form will be filled after the board exam results are declared in June. “We had no option, but to delay the admission process this year. We are trying to bring it back on track,” Phadtare said.
Although the preparatory work for admissions such as registering colleges and upgrading the website starts in February, this year, the department could not start the work till early April. “We couldn’t go ahead before a final decision on the quota. To implement the quota this year, we would have had to make changes to our online system to make provisions for the reserved seats,” he said.
The attempt to change the nodal agency that conducts the online admissions — from Maharashtra Knowledge Corporation Limited (MKCL) to National Informatics Centre (NIC) — also led to a further delay.