Around 15 students of Cumbala Hill High School had a lucky escape, after a bus taking them home from school caught fire at RT junction in Grant Road on Friday. The incident took place around 4pm.
The Gamdevi police said the driver was the first to notice smoke emanating from the bus engine. He immediately alerted the students, who managed to get off the bus before the fire broke out. “All students are safe. None of them suffered any injuries,” said Rajaram Prabhu, senior inspector, Gamdevi police station. The police are yet to register a case.
Preliminary reports indicated a short-circuit may have triggered the fire.
“The bus driver tried to ascertain the source of smoke and pulled out a cable, which may have caused the fire,” said Prabhu. A fire engine, an ambulance and a water tanker was rushed to the spot. “The fire was under control within 15-20 minutes. But the bus was completely damaged,” said a fire official.
The bus ferried students of two schools: Cumbala Hill High School, Kemps Corner, and Young Ladies High School, Fort. Joshna Duarte, principal, Cumbala Hill High School, said she was not aware of the incident. “The bus ferried students of many schools in the area. It was not owned by us.”
Barbara Fernandes, headmistress (primary) of Young Ladies School, said, “We share the same bus with Cumbala school, but our students were not on board.”
KT Golani, regional transport officer at Tardeo, said they had sent an inspector to Gamdevi police station to take basic details about the incident and inspect the bus. We will take appropriate action, he said.