To save the city’s heritage from being lost to redevelopment projects, the Mumbai Heritage Conservation Committee (MHCC) is set to begin the process of collating data on the number of heritage structures that have gone ahead with redevelopment, bypassing a clearance from the committee.
At a meeting held on Tuesday, the committee asked the civic body to survey and collate a list of proposed heritage structures that have been allowed to go ahead with redevelopment since July last year, when the proposed list was published.
While many members insisted that the civic body should take into account proposed heritage lost since 2008, when the list was first approved and made public, the MHCC has decided to ask the BMC for data on buildings lost only since July last year.
While there is no official data on the number of buildings redeveloped in this period (last year onwards), HT had reported in September last year how around 329 proposed heritage structures have been already redeveloped since 2008.
“Once this data is gathered, we would then deliberate on what further action can be taken,” said V Ranganathan, chairperson of the committee.
But committee members felt that this wasn’t enough. “The list was first proposed in 2008 and hence, permissions of all buildings that have been redeveloped since then should be reviewed,” said one committee member.