Mumbai police pull out all the stops to ensure a safe Republic Day
As terror threat looms on Mumbai, the Republic Day parade planned at Shivaji Park will be guarded by a 1,500-strong police force and the whole area has been declared a no-fly zone.mumbai Updated: Jan 24, 2015 22:24 IST
With the city already on a high alert following a terror threat, Mumbai is set to turn into a fortress on January 26. The Republic Day parade planned at Shivaji Park will be guarded by a 1,500-strong police force and the whole area has been declared a no-fly zone.
“Apart from the Mumbai police, teams of the state reserve police, Quick Response Teams and Force 1 will also be deployed at the venue. Snipers will be on guard on the terraces of the buildings surrounding the ground. For foolproof security, the area will be a no-fly zone,” said Dhananjay Kulkarni, deputy commissioner of police (crime).
Apart from the city police personnel, traffic police will be present in large numbers in the area and several traffic restrictions will be put in place. The bomb detection and disposal squads will also be scanning the city. Several teams of plain-clothed policemen will also be deployed at crowded places. The whole security apparatus will be supervised by an additional police commissioner and the deputy police commissioner.
The Mumbai has been put on high alert after Central intelligence agencies sent out intelligence inputs about a multi-city attack planned by terrorist groups from Pakistan. The list of possible targets includes Siddhivinayak temple in Dadar, which, according to the alert, could be attacked on a Tuesday.
The alert indicated a possible terror strike before January 28. It says Pakistan-sponsored terrorist outfits such as Lashkar-e-Taiba, Jaish-e-Mohammed and Hizb-ul-Mujahideen have collaborated for a multi-centre attack, and targeted four states.
“Following the alert, we have increased the police deployment in the city and nakabandi spots too have been increased. All hotels and lodges are also being scanned and combing operations are being conducted by several police stations,” added Kulkarni. The leaves of all the police personnel have been cancelled on Republic Day.
The route march:
The march will commence from Shivaji Park stadium/Maidan gate no. 4 and would proceed along Keluskar Road (north), Keluskar Main Road, Gadkari Chowk, NC Kelkar Road, Kotwal Garden, Tilak Bridge, Dadar TT, Dr BA Road, Tulpule Chowk (Ruia College junction), Lady Jehangir Road and will end at Five Gardens in Matunga
1. Keluskar Road from its junction with NC Kelkar Road and Lady Jamshetji Road (Gadkari Junction) to junction of Keluskar Road (south and north)
2. SVS Marg from Siddhivinayak Junction up to Hinduja Hospital
3. SVS Marg from Mahim Junction up to Siddhivinayak Junction
4. Takandas H Kataria Road from LJ Road up to Hinduja Hospital
5. No entry from Keluskar Road (north): Keluskar Road (south) will be one-way from its junction with S Veer Savarkar Road to its junction with Keluskar Road (north)
6. No entry from S Veer Savarkar Road: Keluskar Road (north) will be one-way from its junction with Keluskar Road (south) to its junction with S Veer Savarkar Road
7. No entry from Hanuman Temple: SK Bole Road will be one way from Siddhivinayak Junction up to Hanuman Temple
1. Keluskar Road (main, south and north)
2. Shivaji Park Road no. 2
3. Lt. Dilip Gupte Marg from Keluskar Road to Pandurang Naik Marg
4. Eastern side of Veer Savarkar Marg from Pandurank Naik Marg to Ranade Road
5. NC Kelkar Road from Gadkari Chowk to Kotwal Garden
6. Tilak Bridge
7. Dr BA Road from Dadar TT (Khodadad Circle) to Ruia College junction
8. Lady Jehangir Road from Ruia College junction to Five Gardens
Instructions for invitees
* Invitees coming from eastern suburbs, south Mumbai, proceeding via Tilak Bridge may approach Shivaji Park via NC Kelkar Road, Gadkari Chowk, Lady Jamshetji Road, Raja Bade Chowk, Shivaji Park Road no.2, Keluskar Road (north), S Veer Savarkar Marg, Keluskar Road (south) to Shivaji Park grounds
* Invitees coming from south Mumbai may use Peddar Road, Dr Annie Besant Road and approach the parade grounds via S Veer Savarkar Marg, Keluskar Road (south)
* Invitees coming from western suburbs may proceed via Lady Jamshetji Road, Takandas H Kataria Marg, S Veer Savarkar Marg (Cadell Road), Keluskar Road (south) to Shivaji Park grounds.