With no hope of respite in sight, residents of the Campa Cola compound were making preparations on Sunday to move out of their homes. Some have rented flats nearby while others have been taken in by relatives.
“Most of us have made arrangements to rent flats nearby. Others have decided to move to relatives’ homes. But we had been hoping till the end for a positive decision from the chief minister,” said Vinod Tibrewala, 52, resident of Patel Apartments.
A few residents, however, have decided to not go out without a fight.
Three residents, who have been on a hunger strike for the past seven days, Vinaychand Hirawat, 67, Kamal Parekh, 52, and Surendrakumar Daga, 50, said they would continue their strike in the compound if authorities decided to raze their flats.
“My grandsons go to schools nearby. It will be difficult for us to shift. We paid hard-earned money to buy the flats,” Hirawat said.
“We have left individual flatowners to decide on vacating their flats, as it would amount to contempt of court if we do not,” said Nandini Mehta, spokesperson of the complex.
Residents said justice Srikrishna’s opinion was in their favour. But, the CM while agreeing that an ordinance could be issued, categorically said late last night that it would not be the right decision under the circumstances.