Mumbai's 1st heart transplant: Family pledges to donate organs too | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Mumbai's 1st heart transplant: Family pledges to donate organs too

mumbai Updated: Aug 06, 2015 16:47 IST
Priyanka Vora
Priyanka Vora
Hindustan Times
Mumbai first heart transplant


The family of Badlapur resident Anwar Khan, 22, is unsettled by all the attention he has generated among other patients at Fortis Hospital, Mulund, who want to know about the man who underwent a heart transplant.

Anwar, admitted in the hospital’s intensive care unit (ICU), is stable, said doctors, but the next 24 hours are critical.

“People in the lift ask us if we are his (Anwar) relatives,” said his brother, Shoaib who signed the consent for Anwar’s surgery. Shoaib, who is a year older, said the family had not informed Anwar about the availability of a donated heart, as they didn’t want to scare him.

Shoaib said his family has pledged to donate their organs, too, to help someone else in need.

“When he asked me before being wheeled into the operation theatre if I knew about the heart donation, I said I wanted to surprise him,” Shoaib said, adding once he is better, the two will work out together at the gym – an obsession for Anwar.

Read: 22-year-old gets Mumbai's first heart transplant since 1968

Anwar is a fan of actor Salman Khan and his penchant for body building has given him the nickname ‘Sam Salman’ in his neighbourhood. The family watched with sadness as his body deteriorated because of his heart condition. “We could not accept the fact that his heart could fail. He was very fit and healthy. He could eat 20 eggs at one go,” said his mother Shaheeda, who has not seen her son since the transplant on Monday.

Anwar has been kept in complete isolation as post-transplant patients are most vulnerable to infections.

For the Khan family, the last one year has been harrowing with Anwar’s condition worsening with each passing day. “We went to many doctors. We even went to mosques and churches,” said his father, Jamil, a scrap-dealer.

When Anwar slipped in the bathroom 45 days ago and lost consciousness, the family thought they were losing him. He had developed paralysis as a result of a blood clot. In the past few months, he was unable to climb stairs and not even use the bathroom on his own. If all goes well, Anwar could be discharged in the next 15 to 20 days, said doctors.

His parents now wish to meet the family of the 42-year-old Pune woman whose family donated her heart, which gave their son a new life. “It is because of them I can see my son has come back to us,” said his mother.

Tata Tea’s Anthem of apathy
Partnered feature