Mumbai: School staff booked after five students suffer burns

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • Updated: Dec 18, 2014 21:03 IST

A case of negligence has been registered against staffers of a municipal school in Ghatkopar after five students sustained burns following a minor explosion triggered by lab equipment that was allegedly left unattended.

The incident took place on Monday evening at Ramabai Ambedkar Municipal School in Ghatkopar (East). The students had come there to study post school hours. Under a civic body scheme, underprivileged students who do not have space to study at home can study in any municipal school nearby and two classrooms are kept open for this purpose.

According to the police, the classroom in which the students sat to study contained lab equipment. One of the students removed a lamp-like object from a cupboard and dropped some liquid on it, causing a minor explosion and a fire.

The children were admitted to KEM hospital with burn injuries. Police said that one student sustained severe burns and remains in hospital, while the other four have been discharged.

After investigating the incident, the police have accused staffers of being negligent and jeopardising the safety of the students.

"We came to a conclusion after which the (unidentified) staffers have been booked. The student was mischievous but they (school staffers) should have taken care. We are investigating who are the staffers responsible," said Shankar Dhanawade, senior police inspector, Pant Nagar police station.

The civic body also set up an inquiry committee to look into the incident. The unidentified accused have been booked under sections 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others), 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) and 285 (negligent conduct with respect to fire or combustible matter) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).

also read

70 people from Mumbai, Maharashtra on ISIS hit list: ATS charge sheet
Show comments