Mumbai: Short circuit causes fire in Mantralaya

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • |
  • Updated: Jun 23, 2014 17:26 IST

Two years and three days after Mantralaya was gutted in a major fire, the state headquarters’ annex building relived the horror on Monday when a short circuit caused panic among the employees. The small fire was controlled immediately and no one was hurt. No major damage to the property was reported.

According to sources, a power switch between the first floor offices of minister of state Rajendra Gavit and principal secretary (social justice) RD Shinde malfunctioned at around 3.45pm on Monday, resulting in a spark that burnt electric cables. Soon thick smoke filled the corridor which didn't have adequate ventilation. This caused panic and employees were evacuated in a couple of minutes, said a Mantralaya officer.

"The smoke was the major problem because the corridor doesn't have enough ventilation," said a senior official.

The fire brigade which has been posted permanently after the June 21, 2012 incident swung into action and controlled the fire before it could spread.

 

also read

Mumbai, is your building quake resistant?

blog comments powered by Disqus