Mumbai: Short circuit causes fire in Mantralaya | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 19, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Mumbai: Short circuit causes fire in Mantralaya

Two years and three days after Mantralaya was gutted in a major fire, the state headquarters’ annex building relived the horror on Monday when a short circuit caused panic among the employees.

mumbai Updated: Jun 23, 2014 17:26 IST
HT Correspondent

Two years and three days after Mantralaya was gutted in a major fire, the state headquarters’ annex building relived the horror on Monday when a short circuit caused panic among the employees. The small fire was controlled immediately and no one was hurt. No major damage to the property was reported.

According to sources, a power switch between the first floor offices of minister of state Rajendra Gavit and principal secretary (social justice) RD Shinde malfunctioned at around 3.45pm on Monday, resulting in a spark that burnt electric cables. Soon thick smoke filled the corridor which didn't have adequate ventilation. This caused panic and employees were evacuated in a couple of minutes, said a Mantralaya officer.

"The smoke was the major problem because the corridor doesn't have enough ventilation," said a senior official.

The fire brigade which has been posted permanently after the June 21, 2012 incident swung into action and controlled the fire before it could spread.