Mumbai: Singhanias to submit fresh plan for JK House
The BMC will ask the Singhania family, owners of JK House, a 37-floor tower under construction at Breach Candy, to submit a fresh plan incorporating the changes it wants made.mumbai Updated: Aug 22, 2015 23:02 IST
The BMC will ask the Singhania family, owners of JK House, a 37-floor tower under construction at Breach Candy, to submit a fresh plan incorporating the changes it wants made. Following a visit by municipal commissioner Ajoy Mehta to the tower last Wednesday, the BMC has asked the Singhanias – who own the clothing firm Raymond – to demolish and seal four refuge floors (5, 10, 20 and 25) ostensibly meant for fire safety, and make the museum being built on floors 15 to 18 open to the public.
The tower, which will be home to the Singhanias, stands on a plot that previously housed a museum. Apart from their residences, it will have a shop on the ground floor, a mutli-storey car park, refuge areas and the museum.
Sources said the changes ordered by the BMC could be made in two months. The civic body will issue a commencement certificate to the owners after checking if the new plan complies with its directives. The owners will be asked to drill holes in the walls of four refuge floors to ensure that they are not misused.
A senior official from BMC’s building proposal department said, “The fresh order signed by the civic chief is expected to be sent to the Singhanias next week. Once they are informed about the changes they will have to submit a fresh plan. Our team will inspect the changes, and if they do not comply with our orders, we will take action. The process could take around two months.”
Another civic official said, “For easy access to the museum, there will be exclusive lifts for the public. We have also asked the Singhanias to put up a board informing people about the museum.”
In 2012, the BMC had issued a stop-work notice to JK House after irregularities were found in its construction, including FSI violations. The Singhanias approached the urban development department to appeal against the notice. In last week of May this year, the department asked the BMC to take action against the owners for the extra area constructed.
The Raymond Group did not respond an email from Hindustan Times and no spokesperson was available for comment.