Mumbai: Smart traffic control plan delayed
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC)’s second phase of Area Traffic Control (ATC) project – aimed at improving traffic management in Mumbai –is likely to be delayed.mumbai Updated: Aug 08, 2015 23:03 IST
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC)’s second phase of Area Traffic Control (ATC) project – aimed at improving traffic management in Mumbai –is likely to be delayed.
The agency appointed to prepare a detailed report on the city’s traffic situation, such as vehicle density at different times of the day, has sought another extension.
This year in March, the consultant had requested the BMC to give it more time to submit a comprehensive mobility plan, after its one-year deadline came to end. Last month, it sought another extension, after which it has been granted time till October.
Last year, the civic body had appointed Lee Associates South Asia as a consultant for the traffic survey, for Rs 7.21 crore.
A senior civic official from the traffic department said, “Since it is a vast and minute survey and the consultant is supposed to coordinate with all the transport agencies, such as BEST, MMRDA and Railways for collecting data, the report is taking time. The survey will give priority-wise solution for the city’s traffic woes.”
The ATC is an intelligent traffic system, under which there is a management plan for 544 major junctions across the island city and suburbs.
A civic official from the road department said, “The traffic corridors to be looked at under phase two and phase three of the ATC project will be finalised only after the consultant submits its report. The consultant will give details of traffic flow and vehicles crossing the particular junctions. With the help of this, vehicular movement will be monitored precisely, bringing relief from traffic jams.”
Under the ATC project’s phase one, the civic body has covered 253 junctions, such as Haji Ali and Worli naka, of which 135 are in the island city, 65 in western suburbs and 53 in eastern suburbs.
What is ATC
* Area Traffic Control (ATC) is an intelligent traffic system, under which 544 major junctions across the island city and suburbs are to be managed
* Under phase one of the project, 253 signals, such as Haji Ali, Wilson College, Roxy Cinema, Tardeo Junction are covered
* Under the project, traffic signals adjust themselves according to the traffic flow. Once a time is set on the signal, it adjusts cycle timings based on the traffic flow. This will mean that busiest junctions will get some more signal time
* The sensors fitted at the junctions help in providing the number of vehicles passing through it, based on which, the signal cycle is adjusted
First phase a success
* The first phase of the ATC began in 2008 and was wrapped up in 2011. It was based on a report by the MMRDA
* The Rs 72-crore phase of the ATC was funded by World Bank. The project has got the award of Best Intelligent Transport System Project, from the nion ministry of Urban Development.