Mumbai: Suspected H1N1 patient commits suicide | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Mumbai: Suspected H1N1 patient commits suicide

mumbai Updated: Mar 03, 2015 16:53 IST
Pranab Jyoti Bhuyan
Pranab Jyoti Bhuyan
Hindustan Times
H1N1 budget

A 46-year-old suspected swine flu patient committed suicide by jumping off the fifth floor of the DY Patil Hospital in Nerul on Monday. His wife, who was diagnosed with swine flu on Saturday, is undergoing treatment in the same hospital.

Prakash Lingoje, a civil engineer by profession, took the drastic step around 2pm, when he was alone in his ward. He suffered severe injuries on his head, chest and other parts of his body. The doctors of the hospital instantly admitted him to the casualty ward, but he died within a few minutes.

“His wife Prema was diagnosed with swine flu and was admitted to our hospital on Saturday. He was with his wife round the clock since. On Sunday evening, he told us he too had been suffering from mild fever for the past two days. So we got him admitted and conducted the required tests to find out if he too had swine flu,” said Dr Shyam More, deputy medical superintendent of the hospital. “Meanwhile, his two children, aged 11 and two, also developed mild fever. They were being treated on OPD basis,” he said.

Lingoje was suspected to be a swine flu patient, as he had been in close contact with his wife for the past two days. “We were expecting results of his H1N1 test by Tuesday. The window from which he jumped was not that close to his ward. He was being administered IV fluid, but removed the line. We think it is a premeditated suicide,” More said.

Sangeeta Alphonso, senior police inspector of Nerul police station said, “We think the man took the extreme step out of frustration. We have not recovered any suicide note from the spot.”

Lingoje’s younger brother Suresh said, “My brother had called us around 5am on Saturday and told that all of them were unwell. My wife and I reached Mumbai from Karnataka the same day and were taking care of them. I just came to out of the hospital to have lunch on Monday, when I was informed about his suicide on phone. I am unable to understand the reason behind it.”