A 19-year-old girl from Andheri (West) died of a suspected cardiac arrest after purportedly consuming heavy amounts of alcohol with her friends at Juhu beach on Thursday.
The DN Nagar police have ruled out any foul play, sexual assault and drug abuse. They will, however, ascertain the cause of death after her toxicology report is released by the Directorate of Forensic Science Laboratory (DFSL) at Kalina.
The police said the girl celebrated her birthday with family and friends on Wednesday before leaving with a group of friend for a walk.
The group of two girls and two boys was at Juhu beach drinking until midnight, police said.
“We have learnt during our probe that she consumed four Bacardi Breezers, some beers and smoked a cigarette. Her mother told us this was the first time her daughter drank alcohol,” an officer said.
The girl’s friends dropped her home in a semi-conscious state after which her mother gave her a bath and tried remedies such as lime to wake her up.
The teenager soon began choking and was rushed to Cooper hospital around 1.40am. But by then, she had stopped breathing and the doctors could not revive her, the police said. A case of accidental death has been registered.
“She was weak and underweight and should not have consumed so much alcohol. She started choking and the doctors said she suffered a cardiac arrest,” the officer said.
The girl had completed her higher secondary certificate and was pursuing a diploma.