A 58-year-old man from Nashik succumbed to swine flu on Wednesday at a Mumbai-based hospital, taking the toll of H1N1 deaths to 10 in Mumbai.
According to a report by Greater Mumbai municipal corporation's public health department, the cause of the death was cited as cardiac respiratory arrest in a case of H1N1 infection. Public health officials, however, said the situation is not alarming. "There is no reason to panic. People should just take precautions against the virus. Most recorded cases in the city are stable," said Dr Mangala Gomare, head of the epidemiology department in BMC.
27 new swine flu cases were recorded in Mumbai hospitals on Wednesday. Of these, 19 patients were from the city. The total count of H1N1 virus patients in Mumbai now stands at 224, with 163 cases from Mumbai. One patient from Mumbai has succumbed to the deadly disease so far.
The highest number of fresh swine flu cases in a day was recorded on Tuesday. Of the 37 new cases, 30 patients were from Mumbai.
According to experts, most cases recorded in the country are of people between 15-20 years of age group.
Dr Shahid Barmare, consulting physician at Kohinoor Hospital, said those suffering from common cold and influenza are very vulnerable to catching H1N1 virus. "The relatives and neighbours of such patients should take extra precautions and take preventive medicines for the disease. Others should consult a doctor if they notice any symptoms such as high fever or sudden breathlessness," he said.
The country is reeling under the worst swine flu outbreak in five years, with more than 8,000 cases recorded so far. More than 100 deaths have been recorded across the country in the past three-four days.