A navy major jumped into a manhole to save two sweepers but couldn’t.
Dharamvir Singh (38) was supervising the cleaning of manholes in US Club at Navy Nagar on Saturday. The two brothers — Ramkishan (30) and Kisan Rajouria (28) — went into the manhole, while Singh volunteered to give them directions.
The manhole — filled with carbon monoxide — descended the manhole to clean it. When they did not come up for a long time, Singh called out to them. Not getting any response, he jumped into the manhole.
He saw the two had fallen unconscious. After getting them out of the mahole, Singh too collapsed. The three men were rushed to the hospital. The brothers were declared dead before admission. Singh is in the ICU in the naval hospital at Navy Nagar.
“We are trying to ascertain the cause of death,” said police sub-inspector Gyaneshwar Tapre.