With the Indian Navy having submitted its report on the Adarsh Housing Society scam on Wednesday, the defence ministry has indicated that it would recommend “punitive action” against the culprits by November 8.
“We are studying the reports submitted by Army, Defence Estates and the Navy to collate all relevant information. We will proceed with comprehensive action against the culprits, so as to prevent such scams from occurring in the future,” defence ministry sources said.
A controversy has erupted over how the Adarsh society in upscale Colaba, originally meant to be a six-storey structure for housing Kargil war heroes and widows, was converted into a 31-storey building.
In its report, the Navy is understood to have raised serious security concerns over the 31-storey building in a military zone, thereby compromising the several sensitive installations including a naval air base nearby.
The Army too in its report submitted to the defence ministry last week shared the security concerns, said sources.
The Army was in “de facto” possession of the 6,490-sq mt plot of land since the early 1990s and had used it as a training location for its troops in the metropolis.
After these recommendations from the Army and the Navy, the defence ministry is likely to take a concrete view on the action it wanted to be taken against the personnel responsible for the housing society coming up on the land and against the promoters of the 100-metre high complex.
The ministry is mulling action against its personnel and society promoters, including recommending probes by CBI and Income Tax.
An informal expert group of ministry officials is expected to meet over the weekend to take a final call on the punitive action in the case.
An initial probe ordered by Defence minister AK Antony into the scam had concluded that there “prima facie” was “a criminal conspiracy” by defence personnel, who had “colluded” with the promoters of the housing society.