Almost 500 structures on the proposed heritage list may have already been given permission for redevelopment by the civic body, according to officials. So far, 329 of the total 948 structures have been granted permission for redevelopment but the figure may rise to 500 once data of structures in the proposed heritage precincts in the eastern and western suburbs are taken into account.
“We have not yet calculated the structures located in the proposed suburban heritage precincts that have been given permission for redevelopment. It will take some more time to compile the data,” said Rajiv Kukunur, chief engineer, development plan department. “The final number of proposed heritage structures granted permission for redevelopment will surely be higher than the present count,” he added.
On Wednesday, HT had reported how the six-year delay in publishing the draft list had led to the redevelopment of 329 proposed heritage structures, of which 251 were located in the island city and its proposed precincts. According to data compiled by the civic body so far, 78 of 280 such sites in the eastern and western suburbs had already been given permissions.
The proposed heritage precincts in the western and eastern suburbs mainly comprise approximately 18 gaothans, which are vulnerable to redevelopment.
Civic officials and heritage experts claimed the final count of redeveloped heritage structures could be alarming, and any additional delay in finalising the list could lead to the depletion of the heritage cover. “We will have to take note of the significance and grades of the structures that have been granted permission for redevelopment by the civic body so far.
In case they are structures of a higher grade, they need to be protected,” said Sharad Upasani, former chairperson, Mumbai Heritage Conservation Committee, which submitted the proposed heritage draft in 2008. “I fear that on account of any more delays in publishing the final list, we won’t be able to save more than 10% of the city’s heritage,” he added.
Last week, civic chief Sitaram Kunte had announced that it would take one more year for the final draft to be submitted. “Till the list is finalised, redevelopment of none of the proposed heritage structures would be affected,” he had said.