A committee, which probed two prolonged power cuts, which occurred in the city last year, has recommended upgrading the city’s power distribution and transmission network or else face power outages.
The committee wants utilities involved to start working on new lines to bring power in the city that could be in the range of 5,000 MW by the year 2014-15. Currently, the city’s transmission network can bring a little more than 3,000 MW. The upgradation can be planned in a phased yet urgent manner, says the committee.
The Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission (MERC) had taken suo-motu cognisance of power cuts on November 18 and 21, and asked all utilities to clarify. Dissatisfied with the companies’ clarifications that kite strings caused power cuts and a coconut tree tripped one of the main power lines, the commission appointed a committee headed by professor SA Khaparde (IIT-Bombay) to study it.
MERC published the committee’s recommendations and the preparedness of transmission utilities on Tuesday.
The committee said keeping in mind its growing power requirement, Mumbai’s power carrying capacity needed to cross 3,300 MW in the next two years from the existing 2,800 MW.