Nine nurses — who developed symptoms of food poisoning after consuming food from a private caterer — were admitted to the Thane Civil Hospital on Friday.
The nurses were students of Dhule nursing home and had come for one-month psychiatric training at the mental hospital, said Dr Sanjay Kumavat, medical superintendent, Thane Mental Hospital.
One of the nurses who is in the hospital said, “We had ordered lunch from a family which runs a tiffin service. We ate the food at night after which we started suffering from stomach ache and nausea.”
Ratnakar Kulkarni, civil surgeon at the hospital, said: “The nurses have been put on IV drips.”
Rajaram Desai, senior police inspector, Wagale Estate police station, said, “The food was ordered from Varsha Salunke, who stays in government quarters near the hospital. Thirty-eight nurses had ordered the same food, while only eight suffered from food poisoning. Samples of food, spices and other ingredients from Salunke’s house have been sent for tests. Action will be taken on the basis of the report.”