No accident, Bidushi was murdered: cops | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 19, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

No accident, Bidushi was murdered: cops

mumbai Updated: Nov 13, 2012 01:40 IST
Puja Changoiwala
Puja Changoiwala
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Bidushi Dash-Barde, the 23-year-old model who was found dead at her Andheri residence last month, was murdered, the DN Nagar police confirmed on Monday.

After initial speculations ranging from accidental death to homicide and even suicide, a police team headed by medico-legal experts reconstructed the crime scene before reaching the conclusion. However, the official report has not been submitted.

According to a senior officer from DN Nagar police station, the team visited Bidushi's rented apartment at Manish Nagar housing society in Andheri (West) five days ago. Bidushi was found in a pool of blood by her software engineer husband, Kedar, 26, on October 22. Glass shards from a broken shelf were found in her right cheek, lower jaw, chin and neck.

The police said there were three more wall-mounted glass shelves above the broken one. "The team found that another shelf was damaged and had been repaired. Also, the cutlery kept had been rearranged. If Bidushi had tripped and fallen, things on the shelves would have been disturbed. But the accused carefully rearranged everything," said the officer.

The officer said they believed that Bidushi's head had been banged against the shelf, which was around 7 inches deep. "The place where she hit her head was just an inch away from the wall. If it was an accident, her head wouldn't have gone so deep between two shelves," the officer said, adding that the reconstruction of the crime scene revealed that the speed and impact with which Bidushi had hit the glass shelves could not have been accidental.

Also an injury mark on Bidushi's leg made with a sharp object and nail marks on her neck and right bicep could not have been self-inflicted, he said.

The team is likely to submit an official report to the police by the weekend.

"We are still groping in the dark with no leads. Her husband has not been given a clean chit yet," the officer said.

Bidushi's father, Shantanu Dash, an Indian Air Force official, said he was certain that his daughter was murdered. "I had seen the apartment. The blood stains in the passageway of the house showed that Bidushi had struggled to get up and run, but her foot slipped and she fell down.

"The murderer had banged her hard against the shelf. My daughter was weak. She tried to resist her killer, but he overpowered her," he said.