The Bombay high court has refused to set a date for hearing actor Shiney Ahuja’s appeal against his conviction in a rape case, with the ‘Gangster’ star claiming that the delay was affecting his film career.
On Tuesday, justice SS Jadhav disposed of Ahuja’s application for setting a date for hearing the appeal, adding that it would be “listed in due course”.
The actor has appealed against the sessions court order of 2011, which convicted him of raping his domestic help and sentenced him to seven years’ rigorous imprisonment. He is currently out on bail as he waits for his appeal to be heard.
Ahuja’s counsel M Mohite on Tuesday told the court that his client was finding it difficult to get work as his appeal was still pending. “(Ahuja) has suffered and continues to suffer individually, psychologically, emotionally, socially as well as professionally and is losing out on work as most producers are wary of casting him in films due to the pendency of the appeal,” his application stated.
“This can’t be a reason,” the judge responded. The bench then said he could move the court again for a speedy hearing if the appeal wasn’t taken up within eight months.
In his application, Ahuja stated that he is “hopeful” over the success of his appeal and it had been fixed for final hearing on two occasions but was not taken up.