The much-touted accident insurance cover for school students of all boards, including SSC, ICSE, CBSE, has not provided insurance to students since August 25, 2010.
The National Insurance Company (NIC), which was appointed by the state for the scheme, has not been able to provide records of insurance given to students from August-end last year and has not even initiated the process of signing a written agreement with the government.
The company is soon to be blacklisted by the state.
The insurance cover includes paying Rs 50,000 to a student who faces a permanent handicap in an accident, Rs 30,000 in case of accidental death, Rs 20,000 on losing an eye or limb, Rs 10,000 for any operation and Rs 2,000 for small injuries.
“We have decided to blacklist the company and will ask the Centre to do so. In a meeting with the chief secretary, the government will initiate this process and also bring in new bids for engaging a new insurance company,” school education minister Rajendra Darda told the Legislative Council on Tuesday.
Darda said the NIC was engaged since it had the lowest bid compared to six other companies.
“At that time too the company’s past records were not too promising, but the principal secretary was told to stick to the lowest bid,” he said.