No RTE quota for nursery admission: Activist files PIL in Bombay HC

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • Updated: May 15, 2015 22:59 IST

Days after a government resolution excluded the pre-primary section from the purview of the Right to Education Act, an activist has approached the Bombay high court, saying this has led to more than 30,000 children losing their admission to private schools.

But a vacation bench of justice SC Gupte and justice AK Menon declined to act on the public interest litigation filed by the Dharavi resident, Savari Selvan, after finding that he had approached the court without first making a representation to the authorities concerned.

The bench has granted Selvan the liberty to file a comprehensive representation to state authorities and the school education department about the effect of the government resolution issued by the state on April 30, 2015.

According to the GR, the provisions of the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (RTE) Act, 2009, will apply from Class I to Class VIII, and exclude the pre-primary section.

The GR also cancelled admissions that were already granted under the quota in the pre-primary classes – nursery, junior KG and senior KG.

Selvan said because of the GR, not only will private schools have to keep vacant the 25% seats (of cancelled admissions) in pre-primary section, but also discontinue the education of children who were admitted to nursery or junior KG classes earlier.

In his PIL, Selvan said children admitted to junior KG last year will have discontinue education for one year, as their admissions have been cancelled. Selvan’s lawyer said the admissions were cancelled without giving parents the chance to find an alternative.

The lawyer also highlighted that several private schools were denying admissions to children, even though seats were allocated by the school education authorities.

also read

In pics: Visually-impaired women in Mumbai light up homes this Diwali
Show comments