No stay order on school admissions, says state

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • |
  • Updated: Dec 06, 2012 01:15 IST

The state government has not put any stay on school admissions at the entry level classes and schools will have to proceed as they did last year in following the Right To Education Act, state government officials have said. Schools claimed there was confusion and lack of clarity on how to proceed with admissions this year.

“There is no stalling of the admission process,” said J Saharia, additional chief secretary, school education department. “I have no knowledge about this... It is the responsibility of schools to follow the Act. Every school has to set aside 25% of the seats at the entry level.”

He said the government would check on whether schools were following the procedure once the admissions were completed.

Some schools have asked for an admission schedule from the government, which is being considered. “Some schools wanted us to help by giving uniform dates,” said Saharia. Regarding the exemption of certain category of schools from the 25% clause Saharia said it was being decided by the government. For the remainder, the admission process will be the same as last year.

Some changes are in the works, said Saharia and these once approved will be announced.

 

also read

A day after the deluge, no water to clean up homes

blog comments powered by Disqus