Fifty senior Shiv Sena leaders have been issued notices to abstain from violence on the eve of the release of Shah Rukh Khan-starrer My Name Is Khan.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Himanshu Roy said these leaders had been issued notices under Section 149 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. This means every police officer can take action against a person to prevent acts of violence.
Though Roy refused to name the leaders to whom notices had been served, over 1,600 Sena supporters, leaders and activists had been arrested under various preventive and penal sections until Wednesday evening.
Roy said owners of 63 theatres had been issued an advisory to thwart vandalism. The first three rows from the screen should be vacant and at least two private guards should be deployed near the screen to avoid damage to the screen.
Closed circuit television cameras with night vision have been installed in some theatres.
One police sub inspector, four constables [men and women] and five policemen in plain clothes will be deployed at each theatre until the situation is normal.
Roy claimed that no untoward incident was reported on Wednesday.
Police Commissioner D. Sivanandhan, meanwhile, said that the police had not withdrawn any Sena leader’s security neither had any Sena leader asked for it to be withdrawn.
Incidents of stone pelting, tearing of posters of the film at Andheri, Vile Parle, Kandivli. Shops at Parel and Lalbaug were shut for two hours following a bandh call in response Sena leader Dagdu Sakpal’s arrest. Sakpal was later released.