Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan on Saturday said that his government's move to ensure smooth release of Shah Rukh Khan's MNIK against the backdrop of Shiv Sena's threat to stall it did not mean that anyone was promoting the film.
"We are not promoting the film. It was cleared by the Censors and has the right to be shown. We just took whatever steps were needed legally to ensure its smooth release," Chavan told reporters at Vidhan Bhawan in Mumbai.
Asked about Shiv Sena mouthpiece Saamana today claiming that terror suspects held by Gujarat police have disclosed that MNIK was used as terror propaganda, Chavan said, "We have no information on this issue."
Saamana editorial flayed Chavan, who last week shared stage with Shah Rukh at a conference here, for deploying 22,000 policemen to "guard" the film's release.
"Terrorists arrested by ATS in Ahmedabad had revealed during interrogation that the film was used as propaganda in jehad (holy war)," the Sena mouthpiece said.
Chavan said a film which has already obtained a certificate from the Censor Board need not succumb to pressures.
The Chief Minister thanked people of Mumbai and Maharashtra for not allowing a second Censor Bboard (Sena's diktat).
He assured total support to the film industry in terms of policy and infrastructure in the state.