Now, ward officer will help you deal with property tax | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Now, ward officer will help you deal with property tax

mumbai Updated: Nov 25, 2012 00:49 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

When you receive your property tax bill derived on the basis of the capital value of your property, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) is planning to ensure that your grievances, if any, are addressed at your local ward office.

Estimating the confusion that the new capital value based property tax system could give rise to among citizens, the civic body has decided to decentralise its assistance to the ward level.

The bills, that would be calculaed rerospectively from 2010, are expected to be sent out to citizens by the civic body from December.

“We have decided to deploy officials at the ward level to address any complaints that citizens in the time period of three months that they get to pay their bills. Training is currently being imparted to staff ,” said Rajiv Jalota, additional municipal commissioner.

Along with your bills, the BMC would also be sending out special notices that would include all the details of your property. Factors that determine the capital value of your property such as user category, base value, nature of the building, floor number etc would be sent in these notices.

On receiving the notice, citizens would get a time period of 21 days within which they can write to the BMC if their property has been incorrectly classified in the records.

In May, the civic standing committee cleared the proposal that marked the shift from the current rateable value based property tax system to the capital value based system.

As per the central government scheme, Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission, all local civic bodies are mandated to bring in reforms in levying property tax.

The civic body is also in the process of upgrading its software so that citizens would be able to access civic records containing their property details and other information.