Even as several junior colleges opened for class 11 on Friday, offline admissions continued, with colleges continuing to be flooded with applications.
While Khalsa College received more than 400 forms, St Andrew’s around 350, Bhavan’s (Chowpatty) around 500 and Sathaye around 600. There is still one day left for offline admissions.
“It’s been very harrowing, we have literally had an avalanche of people since we began offline admissions,” said Kirti Narain, principal of Jai Hind College at Churchgate. “People are coming with letters from VIPs and fighting with us to get in.”
Admissions went offline on September 1. The education department had intended this round for the 4,479 students who had not been allotted a seat in any of the previous rounds or those who could not apply earlier.
However, principals say, that many of the applications they have received in the offline round are from those who despite having gotten into a college are trying at this juncture to get into another one.
“Even students who already have a college are taking the risk of withdrawing their originals and are trying to make use of this round,” said an official from Bhavan’s College. “However, as per the department’s instructions we are trying to only take those students who were not previously allotted any college.”
On September 1 the department also issued instructions to colleges to only accommodate those students who were above the relevant college’s last cut-off. But while many such students are still applying, colleges only have a few vacancies left.
“We have gotten so many applicants who are above the cut-off but who didn’t make it to our college. It’s probably because they were only had one betterment option and couldn’t move further upward in a later round despite the cut-off falling,” said Kavita Rege, principal of Sathaye College at Vile Parle.
“Students say they are helpless, but as colleges so are we as we only have a few seats remaining.”